Hope For Me Yet

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

My Day With Typhoid

Well, it has been a crazy couple of days. Yesterday I went to get immunization shots so I can go visit David in Africa. When I was a kid I was not afraid of shots at all, and as I get older I get more nervous before I go get shots. Its just the idea of the needle sliding through my muscle and then the medicine squirting into my body (ew, sorry). So, I thought I was fine, just a little nervous, but after all three shots (typhoid, tetanus, and hep A) I started getting hot all over and my vision started going out. Apparently I went white as well. I almost passed out! I had to lay on the exam table with a fan until the blood came back into my face. But eventually I was fine. Last night we had dinner at the Raney's, our good family friends. Holly and Linda are great cooks! We had black eyed peas, tomatoes, sweet potatoes, zucchini and squash, rolls, corn on the cob and homemade ice cream!! So it was a much better end to the day.
This morning I woke up with very sore arms and shoulders, but got ready for work as usual. When I got to work I found out Miss Laura, the teacher I assist, was not going to be there today, and I thought, I am not ready to be in charge! Thankfully there was a substitute to help and she was very good with the kids and very sweet. But as the day went on I just started to feel awful from my shots. After work I went straight to bed and stayed there all day. I was achy and tired and feverish and all I wanted to do was sleep. I feel much better now though. And it is all worth it to go visit David! Next week I have to get a Yellow Fever shot, so I will be doing it Monday so I can stay in bed on Tuesday if I feel bad again.
My next task is to book a flight to Uganda!
But tomorrow, orientation for grad school, from 8:30 to like 2:30! I hope its not too boring...

1 comment:

  1. glad your bout with typhoid is over! :) i had a similar thing happen the last time i got a shot--i had to get a decadron shot for something, and i almost passed out too. no fun!

    ReplyDelete